Low Fat Pineapple “Fried” Rice
- 3-4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Assorted veggies, chopped: these can be whatever you have on hand--broccoli, carrots, edamame, peas, etc.
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 1 ½ - 2 cups fresh pineapple, chunked
- 1-2 smoked jalapenos (or a generous pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, or they can be omitted)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½-1 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- Tamari soy sauce
- 1. Put a wok or large skillet on medium heat.
- 2. Add onions and green pepper to hot pan and sauté, adding splashes of vegetable broth or water as needed to keep them from sticking to the cooking surface. Cook several minutes until onion starts to become translucent.
- 3. Add chopped veggies in order of how long they will take to cook, longest to shortest. For instance, carrots should be added before broccoli, broccoli before edamame, etc. Add garlic, jalapenos, mushrooms, and grated ginger. Cook until mushrooms are tender but do not let garlic burn.
- 4. Add rice and pineapple at the same time. The pineapple should slightly cook, but not too much.
- 5. Continue to add splashes of broth as needed during cooking; soy sauce may be used towards the end instead of broth.
- 6. Garnish with green onions, season with more soy sauce to taste, and enjoy!
Animal Welfare Nonprofit | National Humane Education Society https://nhes.org/